Do you need to pass the Core Subjects EC-6 Math Section? For many people, the Math section is the most challenging one to pass. Here are some tips and strategies to help you pass!
- Buy a study guide or course that is aligned to the competencies and go through it from start to finish. If you don’t have one yet, check out our printable study guides and courses.
- When you struggle with concepts from your guide or course, find videos on those topics. Khan Academy has excellent free videos.
- Learn to control your test anxiety. By making a plan and consistently studying, you will have evidence to tell yourself why you will pass this time. Regularly practicing a meditation and replacing negative thoughts with positive, realistic ones will help. Check out our Beat Test Anxiety Course.
- Learn how to answer situational or scenario-based questions. In these questions, you have to choose the best way to teach a concept or handle a situation. We have a one-of-a-kind video based Situational Questions Course to help you learn to answer these questions.
- In situational questions, first narrow it down to the options that are on topic. Next, select the one(s) that most thoroughly address the question. Finally, out of the remaining options that are on topic and thorough, choose the one that is most learner-centered. That means the students are actively engaged.
- Make a study plan, stick to it, and keep telling yourself why you will pass the Core Subjects EC-6 Math section.
- Take released STAAR tests for grades 3 through 8. When you miss questions, go back to your study guide or course or watch more videos on those concepts.
- Take practice tests and when you miss questions, go back to your guide or course and do more practice on those types of problems. Watch videos to learn how to do these types of math problems.
- Carefully review the free sample questions and answers in the Texas NESINC manual.